How Combi Ovens Work
Available in both gas and electric models, combi ovens join together
The Pros and Cons Of Combi OvensPros
- Steamer, convection oven, and combination of the two in one machine
- Combination of functions frees up floor space
- Reversible fan for exceptionally even cooking
- Eliminates transfer of flavor among differing food products cooking simultaneously
- Programmable control panel capable of storing 250 multiple step recipes
- Rethermalizing function for previously cooked and chilled foods
- Automatic, hands free cleaning system
- High initial cost of purchase
- High cost of ownership
Cooking Results Of Combi Ovens
The steam mode of the combi oven never exceeds 212°F. As a result, vegetables retain their color, taste and nutrients and the delicate flesh of seafood is preserved with its entire flavor.
The convection mode is perfect for baking. The butter in baked goods loses its moisture faster, becoming flakier and crisper. By more evenly distributing the oven’s heat with a reversible fan, the convection mode uniformly cooks all sides of baked goods.
The combi mode combines the steam and convection modes together. Meats and poultry are perfectly browned from the convection heat and the steam heat prevents moisture loss by as much as one third.
The Combi mode is ideal for the following:
- Roasting and grilling meats and poultry with 1/3 less moisture loss
- Baking hard crusted breads and rolls
- Frying breaded and battered food using residual oils in the batter
- Rethermalizing previously prepared frozen food without moisture loss
Steam Generator Versus Boilerless Combi Ovens
These models demand regular cleaning of the boilers, have more parts requiring service and fail when not cleaned or serviced regularly, all of which increase cost of operation.
These models eliminate the problems associated with steam generator models and therefore have a lower cost of operation.
Capacities and Styles of Combi Ovens
- Accommodate 6, 10 or 20 pans
- 6 and 10 pan capacity models designed for table top installation
- 20 pan capacity floor model has trolley that rolls and locks into oven cavity
- Accommodate 7, 10, 12, or 20 pan
- Hold double their capacity in half size sheet pans
- 7 and 10 pan capacity models designed for table top installation
- 12 and 20 pan capacity floor models have trolleys that roll and lock into oven cavity
Water Filtration for Combi Ovens
Installing a water filtration system for the combi oven is a requirement. Not only does a filtration system reduce the amount of mineral deposits transferred to the oven, it also provides cleaner, healthier water for steam cooking. The improved taste and less frequent cleanings make filtration systems a necessity.
A Note About Installation:
Whether gas or electric, combi ovens require ventilation hoods and must have access to a water line and a drainage system within six feet.