Commercial Kitchen Layout: Prep Tables and Work Tables
As far as general placement goes, prep tables and work tables can be placed wherever needed. However, here are some general tips on arranging your food preparation equipment:
- Try to keep refrigerated prep tables separate from cooking equipment. This is where you need to balance function with energy efficiency. A refrigerated prep table right next to the griddle is a great way to assemble hamburgers right as the patties come off the grill, but that will just kill the energy efficiency of both pieces of equipment. To save the most money, place the prep table behind or across from the griddle, so workers can exchange buns and burgers without taking any steps or running up your energy bill.
- Match the heights. When placed in line with other equipment, worktables should be the same height as the countertop or the top of your cooking equipment, such as your range or griddle. Having everything at the same height is ergonomic and facilitates an assembly-line process.
- Try undercounter or worktop cooling. If you don’t need a refrigerated prep table with an ingredient rail, but still want cooling equipment on your prep line, consider undercounter or worktop refrigerators and freezers. They save space and labor by combining your refrigeration area with your prep area and also reduce trips to the walk in cooler.
More from Commercial Kitchen Layout: Prep Tables and Work Tables...
- Top 10 Tips for Buying an Existing Restaurant
- Opening a Franchise vs. Starting an Independent Restaurant
- Opening an Independent Restaurant
- Restaurants Organized as Sole Proprietorships
- Buying an Existing Restaurant vs. Starting from Scratch
- Legal Structures in the Restaurant: Sole Proprietorships, Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs
- How to Open Franchise Restaurant: A Quick Guide
- Restaurants Organized as Corporations
- Organizing Your Restaurant as an LLC: Pros and Cons
- Restaurants Organized as Partnerships: Pros and Cons
Back to Commercial Kitchen Layout: Prep Tables and Work Tables