Why Go Green in the Commercial Kitchen?Why Go Green in the Commercial Kitchen?
The food service industry is buzzing with the idea of “going green.” As the earth’s resources are strained and rising costs continue to squeeze profits, implementing environmentally friendly practices has become a responsible and smart business strategy.
Even if the environment were not an issue, going green would still save you a lot of money on utilities in the long run.
- Lower energy bills. An upgrade to energy-efficient equipment can almost halve your energy usage, and local governments and utility companies around the country offer substantial rebates for consumers purchasing ENERGY STAR® qualified equipment.
»Learn about the Top Ten Energy Saving Tips for the Commercial Kitchen
- Lower water bills. Taking steps to conserve water can save you a surprising amount of money on your next utility bill, and due to fresh water shortages, water prices could soon begin inflating as rapidly as energy costs.
»Learn more about the Top Ten Water-Saving Tips for Commercial Kitchens
- Improve worker productivity. Studies show that using energy-efficient equipment and green cleaning supplies improves worker productivity by reducing heat levels and the presence of hazardous chemicals.
» Learn more about Green Cleaning Products for the Commercial Kitchen
Consumers are more aware of their impact on the environment than ever before. According to a 2008 National Restaurant Association survey, almost 62% of diners say they would prefer to eat at an environmentally friendly restaurant. If you want to retain your existing customers and attract new ones, you need to go green. The initial cost of greening a restaurant is far less than the cost of losing your customers. Your customers care. So should you.
The amount of energy use, water use and waste production in food service makes it one of the least sustainable industries. Commercial kitchens pollute the air, water and soil simply by operating. Go green to reduce your business’s impact on the environment.
- Prevent air pollution. Using eco-friendly cleaners and lowering energy consumption can greatly reduce the amount of harmful emissions indirectly caused by your business’s operation.
- Reduce waste. Sadly, one of the largest manmade structures in the world is a landfill. The staggering amount of waste we produce not only takes up space, it contaminates air, water and soil.
» Learn more Tips on Reducing Waste in the Commercial Kitchen
- Save water. The earth’s fresh water supply is being rapidly depleted. The U.S. government predicts that 36 states will face water shortages in the next five years.
A typical restaurant consumes excessive amounts of water and energy, creates tons of waste and uses toxic cleaning chemicals to sanitize their wares. While customers love to eat out, they are becoming increasingly aware of their impact on the environment. Saving the environment is vital to your business’s success. Go green and get ahead of the game.
More from Why Go Green in the Commercial Kitchen?...
- Going Green in Your Commercial Kitchen: First Steps
- Investing in Green Equipment for Your Commercial Kitchen
- Greenwashing: Not All Things Green are Gold
- Training Your Commercial Kitchen Staff to Go Green
- Green Glossary
- Seals and Certifications in the Commercial Kitchen
- Top 10 Energy-Saving Tips for the Commercial Kitchen
- Energy Assessments for the Commercial Kitchen
- Energy-Efficient Hoods in the Commercial Kitchen
- Energy-Efficient Lighting for Your Restaurant and Commercial Kitchen
Back to Why Go Green in the Commercial Kitchen?