Ask Keegan: How to Calibrate a Probe Thermometer
Thermometers are in every professional chef's pocket, but not everyone knows how to calibrate them. "This is not rocket science," says celebrity chef Keegan Gerhard. Calibrating a probe thermometer is easy and is done in minutes. Watch how to get it right and try it yourself!
In the Toolbox
What to Do
Place the end of the thermometer about 5mm into the glass of ice water. Hold it there for about 30 seconds and look to where the temperature gauge is reading. If the thermometer is calibrated, it will read 32ºF. If it doesn't, take the pliers and turn the nut under the face of the thermometer until the needle reads 32ºF. And that's it!
More from Chef's Corner...
- Top 10 Tips for Purchasing Restaurant Equipment
- How to Avoid an Appearance on Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares"
- Do You Know Where Your Food Comes From? Following the Restaurant Food Supply Chain
- Cooking with Trans Fat Free Oil
- Serving Sustainable Seafood in Your Restaurant
- 5 Ways to Keep Organic Food on Your Restaurant Menu Year-Round
- Is Your Restaurant Kitchen Really Clean? 7 Places Staff Commonly Miss While Cleaning
- How to Develop a Restaurant Menu
- How to Raise Menu Prices Effectively in Your Restaurant
- How FDA Menu Labeling Affects the Diner's Choices
Back to Chef's Corner