Ask Keegan: How Do I Properly Cut a Cake?Ask Keegan: How Do I Properly Cut a Cake?
You've taken the time to bake and decorate a masterpiece, but do you know how to cut your cake? Chef Keegan Gerhard shows us how easy it is to make clean and precise cuts for perfect slices every time.
In the Toolbox
- A chef's knife that is as long as the cake is wide
- A pitcher of hot water as tall as the blade
- 2 kitchen or bar towels
- A pie marker
What to Do
Gently press the pie marker onto the top of the cake, leaving behind faint lines. Do not press the pie marker too hard; it is not meant to cut the cake. Place one towel on the bottom of the pitcher and fill the pitcher with hot water. Submerge your chef's knife, which Keegan calls a French knife, into the pitcher of hot water. The tip of your knife and the bottom of the pitcher are protected by the towel you placed at the bottom earlier. So go ahead and plunge the blade all the way in for a few seconds to get the knife nice and hot. Take the knife out and wipe it off with the other towel. Line up your knife with one of the lines left behind from the pie marker. Sink the entire length of the knife down into cake for one even slice. Do not saw the knife back and forth. Slide the knife out and dip it back into the pitcher of hot water. Take the knife out of the pitcher and wipe it off again. Go back to slicing the cake with one sinking movement. Continue this same process as you follow the lines from the pie marker for as many pieces desired. Watch Keegan show you how easy it is to do!
More from Ask Keegan: How Do I Properly Cut a Cake?...
- Top 10 Tips for Purchasing Restaurant Equipment
- How to Avoid an Appearance on Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares"
- Do You Know Where Your Food Comes From? Following the Restaurant Food Supply Chain
- Cooking with Trans Fat Free Oil
- 5 Ways to Keep Organic Food on Your Restaurant Menu Year-Round
- How to Develop a Restaurant Menu
- How to Raise Menu Prices Effectively in Your Restaurant
- How FDA Menu Labeling Affects the Diner's Choices
- Restaurant Menus Dictate Everything (So Choose Wisely)
- Everything the Food Service Operator Needs to Know About the FDA
Back to Ask Keegan: How Do I Properly Cut a Cake?