Ask Keegan: How Do I Get the Best Flavor From Dried Spices?
In this installment of Ask Keegan, Chef Keegan Gerhard shares one of his "money and flavor savers." Learn how to save on food cost with this easy tip on how to get the best flavor from your dried spices.In the Toolbox:
First, heat up a dry pan; once the pan is hot, toss in your dried spices. Let the spices heat up until you can smell a fragrant aroma - this is the signal that the spice's essential oils are releasing. As the fragrance fills the air, take the pan off the range top and let the spices cool. Use the spices as you normally would, but with smaller, more potent, measurements.
More from Ask Keegan: How Do I Get the Best Flavor From Dried Spices?...
- Top 10 Tips for Purchasing Restaurant Equipment
- How to Avoid an Appearance on Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares"
- Do You Know Where Your Food Comes From? Following the Restaurant Food Supply Chain
- Cooking with Trans Fat Free Oil
- 5 Ways to Keep Organic Food on Your Restaurant Menu Year-Round
- How to Develop a Restaurant Menu
- How to Raise Menu Prices Effectively in Your Restaurant
- How FDA Menu Labeling Affects the Diner's Choices
- Restaurant Menus Dictate Everything (So Choose Wisely)
- Everything the Food Service Operator Needs to Know About the FDA
Back to Ask Keegan: How Do I Get the Best Flavor From Dried Spices?