There are many gadgets and gizmos out there that can make life easier in the kitchen. But when it comes down to brass tacks, you only need a few cooking tools to do just about anything. This small list offers a quick glance at five great items to nab when organizing a functional kitchen for your home.
- The Pizza Stone. This versatile baking tool will simulate the hearth of a pizza oven. With the ability to hold heat well, a pizza stone can be used to bake pizza, breads and pretzels, as well as frozen food such as fries or chicken nuggets.
- Baking Mats. Baking mats add lasting value to your home kitchen collection. Use these mats as an easy-to-clean, non-stick surface for rolling out pastry or cookie dough or as a liner for cookie or pastry sheets in the oven. That’s right, baking mats can go in the hot oven too! Most mats can withstand oven temps up to 500 degrees and can be used up to 3000 times.
- Cutting Boards. Wood and plastic cutting boards provide effective cutting surfaces that will keep your countertops and knives in great shape. Plastic cutting boards are ideal for cutting meat and poultry as they are non-porous and run through the dishwasher. Wood cutting boards are great for bread, cheeses and vegetables and do not wear down the blade of a knife. Bonus: wood cutting boards also make great presentation platters for serving cheese!
- Cast Iron Fry Pans. Cast iron cookware will pretty much last for ever. Built to last for generations, cookware made from this material will season over time and can be used on the stove top or in the oven. Cast iron fry pans (also referred to as skillets) can be used to make frittata’s, cobblers, steaks, seafood and more.
- Knife Sets. Purchasing a knife set is a great way to gather all the essential knives. Most sets include a paring, chefs and utility knife. Sets may also provide a bread knife, spatula and butcher steel. These knives are all great tools to prep, prepare and serve fruits, vegetables, bread and meat.